QLD concessions

Concessions, rebates and grants available in Queensland.

Find out if you're eligible for extra help with your bill

You may qualify for various concessions, grants and rebates administered by us on behalf of the Queensland State Government.

To be eligible, you must be a resident of Queensland and have one of these concession cards:

  • Pensioner Concession Card issued by Centrelink or Department of Veterans' Affairs
  • Queensland Government Seniors Card
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Cards (for recipients of War Widow or War Widower, or Totally and Permanently Incapacitated rate pensions)
  • Centrelink Health Care Card
  • Asylum seeker status (ImmiCard details required).

Generally, a concession can be claimed only if:

  • you're a resident of QLD
  • the electricity account is in the name of the concession card holder
  • the supply address is the domestic primary place of residence.

Generally, you can claim a concession, grant or rebate for premises where you live alone or share the home with:

  • your spouse
  • other persons who hold an eligible concession card
  • other persons wholly dependent on you
  • other persons who receive an income support payment from Centrelink, the Family Assistance Office, or the Department of Veterans' Affairs and who do not pay rent
  • other persons who live with the cardholder to provide care and assistance, and who do not pay rent.

Applicants must also declare that no other persons except casual visitors share the residence with them. If you live in a caravan park or multi-unit residential building (e.g. apartment), you must also show that your electricity is paid on the basis of metered consumption.

The following cards are ineligible:

  • Health Care Card for Child Disability and Foster Care issued in the name of the child
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs Gold EDA Cards
  • Commonwealth Seniors Health Cards.

Eligibility conditions vary, and may change from time to time. Find the latest information below, or visit the Queensland Government's concessions website.

This rebate is applied as a daily rate of $0.9270 (GST excl.) up to a total of $372.20 per year (GST incl). The rebate is paid in instalments on your electricity bill. The exact amount of the rebate paid on each bill will depend on the number of days in each billing period.

Are you eligible?

You'll need one of the concession cards listed above. Plus, a rebate can only be claimed if the:

  • electricity account is in the name of the concession cardholder
  • supply address is the domestic primary residence of the cardholder
  • electricity account is billed on a domestic tariff.

Learn more

This provides financial assistance to seriously ill people who use either an oxygen concentrator or kidney dialysis machine as a home-based life support system.

To qualify, you need a medical assessment in accordance with the eligibility criteria determined by Queensland Health.

For more information:

Whether you have a life support machine that is eligible for concession or any other type of machine prescribed by a doctor for life support purposes, contact us on 1300 307 966 to add your details to our Life Support Register.

The medical cooling and heating concession is available to assist low-income concession card holders in Queensland who have a medical condition that requires the use of electricity for cooling or heating.

Eligible individuals will be entitled to a concession to assist with increased electricity costs incurred by frequent operation of an air-conditioning unit in order to regulate body temperature. The concession amount will be paid directly by the Queensland Government in quarterly instalments by direct payment to an eligible recipient’s bank account.

This concession is administered by the Government of Queensland. To find out if you’re eligible and how to apply, call Queensland Concession Services on 137 468 or visit the Department of Communities Website.

This scheme provides one-off emergency assistance to low-income households suffering a short-term financial crisis (within the past year). It's available to eligible customers who can't pay their current electricity bills and are at risk of disconnection.

To be eligible for HEEA, you must be:

  • a Powerdirect customer
  • registered on our Staying Connected Program or on a payment plan
  • a registered concession card holder or have a base income of no more than the Commonwealth government's maximum income rate for part age pensioners.

If you're eligible for any concessions, but not currently receiving a rebate on your bill, or if you have any questions, contact us today.

1300 307 966

Are you struggling to pay your home energy bill? We have financial support programs to help you when times are tough.

Learn more