If you have a clinically verified medical condition and need frequent use of heating or cooling in your home to prevent the severe exacerbation of the condition, you may qualify for this rebate. It is available to people on a fixed or low income.
This pays up to $226.67 per year (GST incl.), with the rebate applied directly to your electricity bills. This amount is indexed annually.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible, you need to hold an eligible concession card (see above) or receive an eligible Centrelink payment:
- Newstart Allowance
- Sickness Allowance
- Widow Allowance
- Youth Allowance
- Partner Allowance
- Parenting Payment
- Special Benefit
- Community Development Project (CDP)
- New Enterprise Incentive Scheme (NEIS)
- Farm Household Allowance
- War widow pension under legislation of the United Kingdom or New Zealand.
You also must:
- live at the address on the application form
- have, or be the parent or legal guardian of, a child who has a qualifying medical condition requiring cooling or heating to prevent severe worsening of their condition
- provide certification from their medical specialist or general practitioner that the medical condition is severely worsened by hot or cold weather
- use an air conditioning unit at that address to meet their medical heating and cooling requirements
- be financially responsible for the full or part payment of the energy bill
- hold an eligible concession card or receive an eligible Centrelink payment.
For more information about eligibility and application forms, visit Medical heating and cooling concession or call the Medical Heating and Cooling line on 1300 735 350.