SA concessions

Concessions, rebates and grants available in South Australia.

Find out if you're eligible for extra help with your bill

You may qualify for various concessions, grants or rebates from the SA Government. These are managed by the Department of Human Services (DHS), which can be contacted on 1800 307 758.

To be eligible, you must be a resident of South Australia and have one of the following cards:

  • Pensioner Concession Card or Department of Veterans' Affairs Gold Card (War Widow or War Widower, Totally and Permanently Incapacitated rate or Extreme Disablement Adjustment rate pensions)
  • Centrelink Health Care Card (including a low-income health care card)
  • Commonwealth Seniors Health Care Card
  • DVA Gold Card issued to a person with 80 or more overall impairment points under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004.

You may also be eligible if you receive certain Centrelink payments and allowances or if you hold Asylum Seeker status.

To claim your concession:

  • the address for which you are claiming must be your principal place of residence
  • the energy account must be in the name of the concession cardholder
  • you must not be living with anyone who has an income of more than $3,000 per year, unless they’re your spouse/domestic partner/dependant, or they receive an allowance from Centrelink or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs.

Eligibility conditions vary, and may change from time to time. Find the latest information below.

Am I eligible?

To be eligible, you need to hold an eligible concession card (see above) or receive an eligible Centrelink payment:

  • Newstart Allowance
  • Sickness Allowance
  • Widow Allowance
  • Youth Allowance
  • Partner Allowance
  • Parenting Payment
  • Special Benefit
  • Community Development Project (CDP)
  • New Enterprise Incentive Scheme (NEIS)
  • Austudy
  • Farm Household Allowance
  • War widow pension under legislation of the United Kingdom or New Zealand.

You also must:

  • live at the address on the application form
  • have, or be the parent or legal guardian of, a child who has a qualifying medical condition requiring cooling or heating to prevent severe worsening of their condition
  • provide certification from their medical specialist or general practitioner that the medical condition is severely worsened by hot or cold weather
  • use an air conditioning unit at that address to meet their medical heating and cooling requirements
  • be financially responsible for the full or part payment of the energy bill
  • hold an eligible concession card or receive an eligible Centrelink payment.

This pays up to $231.41 per year at a daily rate of $0.634 (GST incl.), with the rebate applied directly to your electricity bills. This amount is indexed annually.

How to apply

This scheme is administered by DHS – you need to submit your application to them. For more information about eligibility and application forms, visit the DHS website or call ConcessionsSA on 1800 307 758.

You may be able eligible for an Emergency Electricity Payment Scheme (EEPS) payment if you’re at risk of your electricity being disconnected. EEPS is only accessible through financial counsellors who will assess your financial situation before lodging an application. You can only receive an EEPS payment once every three years.

For more information on EEPS and other types of financial aid available through DHS, visit their website.

If you have a clinically verified medical condition and need frequent use of heating or cooling in your home to prevent the severe exacerbation of the condition, you may qualify for this rebate. It is available to people on a fixed or low income.

This pays up to $231.41 per year at a daily rate of $0.634 (GST incl.), with the rebate applied directly to your electricity bills. This amount is indexed annually.

For more information about eligibility and application forms, visit Medical heating and cooling concession or call the Medical Heating and Cooling line on 1300 735 350.

If you're eligible for any concessions, but not currently receiving a rebate on your bill, or if you have any questions, call us today.

1300 307 966

Are you struggling to pay your home energy bill? We have financial support programs to help you when times are tough.

Learn more